Friday 6 July 2012

Pygmalion



Recently I’ve been learning all about acting at Axbridge Community Theatre where Maggie had a part as a parlour maid in the play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw.  


I didn’t realise so much hard work went into putting on a play.  Here I am trying out the stage at the Town Hall where the play was to take place, helpfully testing the safety of the crates by sitting on them.


Director, Wendy Mace, was very nice. She gave me a program to look at and told me all about the play.  Pygmalion is a story about a professor of phonetics, Henry Higgins, who makes a bet that he can teach a cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, to speak well enough to pass for a duchess at an embassy ball.  He succeeds but it has unforeseen consequences for both of them.


The part of Eliza was played by Sarah Kendall who is pictured here being ‘poshed up’ by Sara Boundy.  'I washed me face and hands before I come, I did' so I didn't muck her up again while I was getting in the picture.


Ede Bailey did my make up just in case but I was rather disappointed to discover that George Bernard Shaw forgot to put parts for hedgehogs in Pygmalion.   
 

So I helped by checking over the props.  Unfortunately I couldn’t find any cake that wanted tidying away safely.

Parlour Maid, Maggie Stanley with Mrs Higgins, Sarah Duncan.
Many thanks to everyone at Axbridge Community Theatre for letting me join in and I really enjoyed the play.

I've taken the opportunity since to learn more about George Bernard Shaw who said “Animals are my friends and I don't eat my friends.”   Very sensible I think in respect of hedgehogs ... although personally I don’t think it counts for slugs and snails.
 
Back soon
Many blessings
Shaman Sham

No comments:

Post a Comment